Saturday, May 9, 2009

Must Read:: Who Does She Think She Is?....

Well if we're referring to Benilde Little I'm gon' go ret ahead and say a talented a*s author!! I really enjoyed this book. It was a definite page turner and kept me coming back for more and more. This is the 1st book I've read by Little but it will NOT be the last. Little is actually the best selling author behind the bestselling smash hit "Good Hair" ! What else can you expect from the creative genius that's an editor at Essence?!
This book touches on love, race, gender issues, as well as sex and fashion! I love the style that this book is written in; as if you are watching a movie IE: flashbacks, and POV from each main character. You get to know the life of the main characters.



From the inside cover: Aisha Branch is getting married, and if she has her way, the wedding will be the event of the millennium. At twenty-six she is still the "baby girl," the indulged only child of Camille and the only grandchild of Geneva. As the wedding draws closer , the Branch family is turned upside-down-a $7,000 designer wedding dress? A fiance' who's a "white boy"? But that turmoil is nothing compared to what happens when Aisha falls hard for another man. All the excitement stirs up old feelings in the Branch women, and they reflect separately on their won lives and relationships, and the things they wish had turned out differently. Geneva, a seventy-year-old powerhouse who always strove for "Negro respectability," has never approved of Camille's decisions-single motherhood, a career in social work, dreadlocks. Aisha, the light of Camille and Geneva's lives, is a bright, beautiful, impulsive woman who is used to getting what she wants, even if she has to fight for it. Her real father's absence still looms large in her imagination, but her stepfather, who came into her life early on, has always treated her like a princess. Now Aisha has to choose between marrying her staggeringly wealthy fiance' and pursuing an elusive older man. For her part, Camille grapples with watching her adored daughter live the kind of life she didn't dare to dream of, and is just a little bit resentful of Aisha's ignorance of how hard Camille worked to make it possible. As the drama of Aisha's love like unfolds, the three woman take turns narrating their own stories in Little's most expansive novel yet.

I'm all for a great novel and good read, and I must say "Who Does She Think She Is?" is a very good read. If you are tired of the hood books (my boyfriend is a drug dealer, I wear all the latest designer clothes, my baby daddy dies, and I'm on the come up...) the this is something you'll enjoy. I know I did...tell me whatcha think. Hit me up at Keyboard.Khronicles@gmail.com or leave me a comment below.

Your Source D'Maine Truth and nothing but he truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment